WASHINGTON—The Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe, also known as the Helsinki Commission, today announced the following hearing:
COUNTERING OLIGARCHS, ENABLERS, AND LAWFARE
Wednesday, April 6, 2022
Dirksen Senate Office Building
Watch live: www.youtube.com/HelsinkiCommission
As influential proxies of Russian dictator Vladimir Putin, Russian oligarchs work to weaken Western democracies from within. They pay Western enablers—especially lawyers and lobbyists—millions to use their standing in democratic societies to generate policies favorable to the authoritarian regime in Russia and to silence its critics.
This hearing will examine ways to counter tactics oligarchs use to launder their money and reputations and stifle dissent. Witnesses will discuss their experiences investigating oligarchs and enablers, as well as the risks of doing so, which include abusive lawsuits filed by Western lawyers on behalf of Putin’s proxies.
The following witnesses are scheduled to testify:
- Shannon Green, Executive Director, USAID’s Anti-Corruption Task Force; Senior Advisor to the Administrator
- Bill Browder, Head, Global Magnitsky Justice Campaign
- Daria Kaleniuk, Executive Director, Anti-Corruption Action Centre
- Scott Stedman, Founder, Forensic News
- Anna Veduta, Vice President, Anti-Corruption Foundation International